Loch Ness, Glencoe & The Highlands Tour
Activity code: ED100
- Try to spot the Loch Ness monster
- Visit the Highland village of Pitlochry
- See the stunning Glencoe and the Great Glen
- See Britain's highest mountain, Ben Nevis
Experience the magic of Scotland with a day tour to the breathtaking Highlands. Board the minibus in Edinburgh’s world-famous Royal Mile before heading north with your brilliant driver-guide for a trip full of fascinating stories and stunning views.
On the way to your first stop, see the bright red Forth Railway Bridge, an example of Victorian engineering and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll also pass by the old capital of Scotland, Perth, and Dunkeld, the ‘fort of the Celts’.
The first stop is Pitlochry, the largest town in Highland Perthshire. It lies on the River Tummel and is one of the gateways to the Highlands. Did you know that Queen Victoria’s doctor would advise people to visit this town as the air was good for their health? Here, you’ll get the chance to purchase some home baking before the tour continues further into the Highlands.
Next, we travel through Cairngorms National Park — the largest national park in Scotland and home to five of the highest mountains in the UK. You’ll pass Aviemore, the main town in the area before driving through Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. You won’t miss the dominating Inverness Castle!
Your next stop is the legendary Loch Ness – largest body of water in Britain by volume. Home to the famous ‘Nessie’, which was first seen in the mid-6th century, why not take to the waters on a cruise* and see if you can spot this mysterious monster yourself. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit Urquhart Castle* and discover 1,000 years of history.
The tour continues on to the Great Glen where the Commando Memorial stands. Erected in 1952, the monument is dedicated to the men of the original British Commando Forces who trained here during World War II. Next to the monument is a spectacular viewpoint for Ben Nevis, the UK’s highest mountain, where you’ll enjoy a photo stop and a short refreshment break.
Stop at the dramatic Glencoe, the centre of an extinct volcano and the site of the infamous 1692 massacre. Your guide will tell you all about this glen’s past and what role the clans Campbell and MacDonald played in the history.
After a sensational day in the Highlands, it’s time to return to Edinburgh. On the way, you’ll pass the beautiful city of Stirling and its spectacular castle. Did you know that Mary Queen of Scots was crowned here?
- *The cruise on Loch Ness and visit to Urquhart Castle are additional extras and subject to availability.
- This tour may be cancelled 48 hours prior to the visit.
- Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (18+).
- Children under 3 are not allowed on the minibus.
- Please bring shoes suitable for short walks on rough or uneven terrain and suitable clothing for all weather conditions.
- You can bring one cabin sized piece of luggage: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (not exceeding 15kg) and one small handbag.
- This tour may operate in reverse.