Palace of Holyroodhouse
Activity code: PHH
- An inside look at the official Royal Residence in Scotland
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse is right in the centre of Edinburgh
- Explore the majesty of the State Apartments
- Walk through the chambers of Mary, Queen of Scots
Situated at the end of the Royal Mile in the centre of Edinburgh, against the breathtaking backdrop of Arthur’s Seat, the Palace of Holyroodhouse is absolutely stunning both inside and out. The official Royal residence in Scotland, His Majesty the King conducts important official business here, as well as hosting lavish engagements and garden parties.
Take a walk through the exquisitely decorated State Apartments, renowned for their beautiful plasterwork ceilings, historical works of arts and incredible collection of magnificent tapestries. Reflecting the changing tastes of the monarchs through the ages, the scope of decor is impressive.
Visit the Throne Room and see where the Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Thistle attend the special luncheon. Enter the Great Gallery, the largest room in the palace, filled with Jacob de Wet’s portraits of legendary Kings of Scotland.
Mary, Queen of Scots’ Chambers
These historic apartments were once home to the legendary Mary, Queen of Scots and the location for many dramatic events including the murder of her Italian secretary. During her short and turbulent reign, Mary resided at Holyroodhouse; visit the Bedchamber, the Outer Chamber and her oratory.
- The Abbey and Gardens will be closed until further notice
- You must ensure that you have a printed copy of your ticket's for entry.
- Unfortunately, there is no wheelchair access to Mary, Queen of Scots’ Apartments
Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DX
Nearest Train Station: Edinburgh Waverley