London: British Museum Guided Tour
Activity code: BMGT
- Explore one of the UK’s most famous museums with an expert guide throughout
- See ancient artefacts including The Rosetta Stone and relics from Ancient Rome
- Soak in sights of the Parthenon Sculptures and ask questions on these controversial works
- This small group tour is limited to 20 people for a more intimate experience
The British Museum is dedicated to human history, arts and culture. Its vast collection derives from every corner of the world. Housing over 8 million works across 70 galleries; see ceramics, sculptures, prints, drawings and paintings. This guided tour of the museum will explore how mankind has evolved to the present day.
From ancient human civilisations to modern day living, you will explore some of the deepest questions in world history. Why did our ancestors decide to settle down and start farming? Why do we have gods, kings and nations? Why was money and writing invented? These are just a few of the questions that this tour will explore and answer.
On your tour you discuss many of the objects in the museum, including the Rosetta Stone; dating back to 196BC it was key to unlocking the history of ancient Egypt. In the Greek galleries you will visit The Parthenon sculptures, once part of the Parthenon temple; they date back to 447 – 438BC. Other artefacts that you will see include The Lewis Chessmenm, double-headed Aztec serpent, and the Easter Island Moai.
After your two and a half hour tour, you would have discovered many of the British Museums famous artefacts. You should come away with a better understanding of how the history and actions of humans have shaped our modern day world.
What's Included in the tour
What's Excluded in the tour
- Meet your guide at the north entrance of the museum - Montague Place. Wait for your guide by the Lion's statue on the left side of the museum.
- The live commentary will be in English only.
Days of Operations: Wednesday to Sunday
Times: 10:00am and 2:00pm
Venue Location: The British Museum, 1A Montague Pl, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 7JW
Meet your guide at the north entrance of the museum - Montague Place. Wait for your guide by the Lion's statue on the left side of the museum.