Windsor Castle Tickets
Activity code: WC
- Explore the offical royal residence, where construction started in 1070
- Visit the State Apartments
- Go Inside Gothic St George’s Chapel
- Experience the Changing of the Guard
- Multimedia guides available in the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian & Brazilian Portuguese
Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, and Queen Elizabeth II loved to spend time in this stunning fortress. Built in the 11th century by William the Conqueror, the castle is still a favourite residence of the royal family. This sprawling grand home covers an area of 13 acres and overlooks charming Windsor town – pay the castle a visit and find out why our royals have lived here for centuries and why many royal weddings have taken place here.
The State Apartments
Take a look inside the heart of the working palace – the State Apartments. Regularly used for ceremonial and official occasions, the Apartments are furnished with some of the finest works of art from the Royal Collection. Try and spot the paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens and Leonardo da Vinci that hang from the walls! During the winter months the richly decorated Semi-State Rooms are added to the visitor route.
St George’s Chapel
St George’s Chapel is an imposing Gothic building and the resting place for a number of British monarchs. These include Edward IV, who built the Chapel, Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II. Services are held regularly and this quiet church is a peaceful addition to a Windsor Castle visit.
The Changing of the Guard
This rousing, truly British ceremony takes place at 11.00am on Thursdays and Saturdays, weather permitting. Between April and June, its everyday from Monday to Saturday. The ceremony allows the handover of duties between two different sets of guards.
- As a working royal palace, the Castle is used frequently by The King for State ceremonies and official entertaining, and closures can occasionally occur at short notice.
- St George's Chapel is closed for visitors on a Sunday.
- The semi-state rooms will be closed until 26th March
- Under 5's go free
Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ
Nearest Train Station: Windsor and Eton Central or Windsor and Eton Riverside
Golden Tours act as an official agent for these activities, as such you are subject to the terms and conditions of the supplier.