Salisbury Cathedral and the 1215 Magna Carta
Activity code: SAC
- See the worlds best-preserved version of the 1215 Magna Carta
- Visit Britain's tallest Spire at 123 metre
- View the world's oldest working mechanical clock
- Set on a 80 acre walled Close in Southern England
Salisbury Cathedral sits on an 80-acre walled Close and is situated around a 1 hour drive from London. The Cathedral is an early English example of Gothic architecture and was built over a 38 year period between 1220 and 1258. Here, you can view Britain’s tallest spire at 123 metres and the world’s oldest working mechanical clock, dating back to 1836.
1215 Magna Carta
Salisbury Cathedral houses the world's remaining four versions of the great charter, more famously known as the 1215 Magna Carta. The Magna Carta is a UNESCO protected document and is permanently housed in the Cathedral’s 13th century stone carved Chapter House, which depicts 60 Old Testament scenes. The Magna Carta is a legal document that was issued by King John in June 1215, to outline certain rights of individuals. It has over 60 clauses, covering many areas of the nation’s life, including the right to a fair trial.
- Full access to the Cloisters, Close and Chapter House housing the 1215 Magna Carta
- The one-way system takes visitors out via the Cathedral Works Yard, offering a sneak peak behind the scenes where all restoration and repair work is done
- The art exhibition, celebrating 800 years of of Spirit and Endeavour, featuring major artists such as Grayson Perry, Anthony Gormley, Henry Moore and others, will be in place until Spring 2021.
- Weekday services are held: Monday to Saturday 7.30am and 5.30pm, Tuesdays 12.15pm , Thursdays 11.15am.
- Sunday services are held at 8am, 9.15am 10.30am and 4.30pm.
- You are most welcome to join these services, but please be aware that Cathedral access will be restricted.
- Recommended Sunday viewing times: 12.00pm - 4pm.
- The Chapter House, Restaurant and Shop are all closed on Christmas Day.
33 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2EJ
Nearest Train Station: Salisbury
Golden Tours act as an official agent for these activities, as such you are subject to the terms and conditions of the supplier.