The Ghost Bus Tours - London
Activity code: GBL
- The tour takes you from Northumberland Avenue, through the City of London, the heart of Theatreland, the City of London, across Tower Bridge... and even goes south of the river!
- On-board actors and technical trickery combine to create a full theatrical experience
- A unique way to see London at night
- Best Comedy Horror show in town
Ghost Bus Tours is a theatrical sightseeing tour on a classic 1960s Routemaster bus featuring on-board actors and technical trickery combined to create a frightseeing tour like no other - a hilarious horror show while you see the sights. From the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey over to St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London, see the city's sites of murder, torture and execution, and learn about the ghosts of London and the grisly skeletons in the capital's cupboards.
The Ghost Bus is the perfect way to experience the city of London, and our ghostly tours are designed to entertain and educate while providing a spooky theatrical experience you'll never forget! Ideal plan for a fun and scary night out in London.
Behind the scenes...
The Necropolis Bus Company began in the 19th century as a private bus service. The Necropolis vehicles, or 'Carcass Coaches' as they were known to Londoners, were able to convey the deceased, pall bearers and up to 52 mourners (no standing) to their final resting place. The sound of the whistle prompted gentlemen to remove their hats and bow their heads as a mark of respect.
Bus to Bus...
The bus is painted in the company's traditional colour of midnight black. The interior seating is arranged in 'railway style' for comfort and so the passengers can grieve openly and offer condolences to one another. Decorative features include lamps and window curtains which were always drawn if a coffin was stored in the vehicle overnight. This is based on the superstition that a departed spirit might be trapped by its own reflection in the glass and would be unable to pass into the other world. It also helped to keep the bodies cool in the summer months.
What's Included in the tour
What's Excluded in the tour
- Children aged 16 and under must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- A brief walk is included as part of the tour.
- Buses are classic 1960s Routemasters which are unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.