The Edinburgh Dungeon
- Walk through 10 live actor-led shows all about Edinburgh’s dark past
- Experience immersive sets and spectacular special effects
- Come face to face with a cannibal and a witch
- Enjoy the thrilling drop ride and spooky mirror maze
What You Get
What You Don’t Get
- Tickets can be cancelled or amended up to 72 hours prior to the visit.
- This tour is accessible although some floor surfaces are uneven.
- This tour is recommended for ages 8 and up. Under 5s are not permitted.
- Some shows contain flashing lights and may not be suitable for visitors with photosensitive epilepsy. Please speak to a member of staff before you enter for an alternative route.
Get ready to journey back 1000 years and discover the dark history of Edinburgh. This 70-minute interactive and immersive experience hosts several spectacular shows, live actors, thrilling special effects and rides. You’ll meet some of Scotland’s most notorious characters and laugh and scream at the country’s horrible history.
Step into the dingy dock where Judge Mental will be waiting to deliver your fate. Find out about Agnes Finnie, a shopkeeper accused of witchcraft in 1645 and Sawney Bean, a cannibal who took a liking to lost travellers.
If you’re brave enough, visit the Torture Chamber and see what horrific instruments the Torturer used to get his victims to confess. Wander into Mary King’s Close and meet the Foul Clenger. Here, you’ll learn all about the plague in Edinburgh and its horrible symptoms. Next, enter Loch Leven Castle and discover why Scotland’s most famous Queen - Mary Queen of Scots - was imprisoned here for almost a year and awaiting execution.
Transform into a 19th-century medical student and observe an autopsy being performed by Dr Knox. This body was delivered by William Burke and William Hare, Edinburgh’s most notorious serial killers. Sound suspicious? It turns out in 1828 there was a shortage of bodies in Edinburgh for anatomy schools. But, not to worry as these two gruesome men found a way to solve the problem…by committing murder in exchange for money. And beware, it seems they’re on the hunt for their next victim…
Only one question remains, will you dare to enter the dungeon?
Days of Operations: Daily