Shakespeare’s Globe Guided Tours
Activity code: SGO
- Step inside this faithful recreation of William Shakespeare’s iconic open-air Globe Theatre
- A guided tour inside the reconstructed theatre with traditional Elizabethan interior
- Expert guides will immerse you in Elizabethan drama
- Learn about the tumultuous history of the theatre
Rebuilt and reopened in 1997 approximately 230 metres from the original site is the Globe that stands today, a project founded by the actor Sam Wanamaker, father to actress Zoe Wanamaker who played Madam Hooch in the Harry Potter films.
Get a sense of what inspired Shakespeare to write some of his most famous plays, and imagine what an Elizabethan theatre-going crowd would have been like. Raucous taverns selling ale and brothels would have lined the streets, and most theatre goers in the cheap standing tickets could be found in the ale houses prior to a show. A far cry from the civilised Shakespearean crowds we see today.
The tour will last 40 minutes with expert guides and storytellers colourfully setting the Elizabethan scene with live demonstrations, stage fighting, and a lesson on 17th century script printing.
Once you’ve finished your tour, you’re in the perfect place to find a bite to eat, visit the Tate Modern, or stroll along the river to The London Eye.
- For groups of 15 people or more please contact our Groups Department ([email protected]) directly for a reduced rate.
- To collect your guided tour tickets please bring your printed voucher to the Box Office on New Globe Walk and staff will print your tickets
- The Globe is a working theatre so occasionally tours will not be able to take place due to rehearsals/performances/events that won’t be listed on this website
- Please make a note of the tours availability in the schedule tab
- All people purchasing student tickets must have a valid ID with them
- There is no access to the theatre during matinee performances
- Tours begin every 30 minutes during opening hours
Shakespeare's Globe, 21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London SE1 9DT
Nearest Train Station: Blackfriars or London Bridge (10 minute walk)
Nearest Underground: Blackfriars, Mansion House, London Bridge (10 minute walk) Southwark & St Paul’s (15 minute walk)
Bus Routes: 11, 15, 17, 23, 26, 76
Golden Tours act as an official agent for these activities, as such you are subject to the terms and conditions of the supplier.