The York Dungeon
Activity code: YDO
- Walk through 10 live actor-led shows all about York’s hysterically horrible history
- Enjoy immersive sets and spectacular special effects
- Meet iconic characters including Guy Fawkes, Dick Turpin and the Vikings
- Laugh and scream as you experience surprises with family and friends
Prepare to journey back 2000 years and discover the dark history of York… and dark it was. In your 75-minute adventure, you’ll enter 10 specially designed scenes, experience the most thrilling special effects and get very well acquainted with a host of (un)pleasant characters.
Meet the fearless Viking warrior Snore Short Sword and learn all about blood eagles, slavery and why the Vikings didn’t like the Saxons. Step into the plague-infested streets of York in 1551, where the assistant at the plague doctor’s surgery nearby will be more than happy to check for symptoms of this deadly disease.
Visit the Torturer of York Castle and see what gruesome instruments he used to get his victims to talk. Find out about Isabella Billington and determine if she really was or wasn’t a witch.
Remember, remember the 5th of November 1605? Of course not, you’re far too young. But the man himself, Guy Fawkes, will remind you of the grizzly events that took place that night. Discover what happened after he was caught (it wasn’t pretty) and if there were others involved.
Take a seat on a carriage and learn all about the vicious highwaymen that patrol the area. Hold on to your valuables as they’re known to threaten and steal from their unsuspecting victims. And if you happen to bump into the Dick Turpin, the infamous one of all, well, all we can say is good luck…
The York Dungeon brings together a frighteningly funny cast of historic characters so you can see, hear, smell and feel York’s stories come to life. The only question that remains is, are you brave enough to enter?
Hop-on Hop-off Open Top Bus Tour of York
Enjoy panoramic views of the historic walled city of York with our open top bus tour. See spectacular sights and hear fascinating facts from the live guide about York Minster, Micklegate Bar, Clifford’s Tower and much more. With 20 stops along the route, hop-on and off at your own leisure when you spot something you’d like to explore further.
What You Get
What You Don’t Get
- Tickets can be cancelled or amended up to 72 hours prior to the visit
- This tour is accessible although some floor surfaces are uneven.
- Some shows contain flashing lights and may not be suitable for visitors with photosensitive epilepsy. Please speak to a member of staff before you enter for an alternative route.
- Recommended age is +8 years. Under 5s are not permitted.