- Learn about the history of the famous Clipper
- Discover interactive exhibits evoking the sights, smells and sounds of life at sea
- Take in spectacular views over the River Thames
- Download the interactive audio-guides on your smartphone using the Smartify App
- A valid student card may be requested on arrival if a student ticket has been purchased.
- If you have a specific dietary requirement, please email [email protected] at least 5 days prior to your visit.
- Once booked, Afternoon Tea is non-refundable.
- Rig Climb Experience: Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled climb.
- Anyone aged 10 and over can climb. No climbing experience is required.
- All children must be accompanied by one paying adult (18+) and require parental consent.
- All participants must sign a waiver before the climb.
- Participants must be at least 1.2m/3ft9in tall and less than 19 stone (120kg) in weight.
- You must wear closed toe shoes, trainers or boots that will not fall off. Open-toed shoes, sandals, or high heels are not permitted.
- The wearing of gloves is permitted and strongly recommended. Gloves and shoes are not provided.
- The harnesses used have a maximum width waist of 130 cm/51.1in, and a maximum upper thigh width of 75cm/29.5in.
- We provide access for visitors who are unable to physically climb the rigging. Please contact us ([email protected]) to discuss your requirements.
- The experience is not suitable for people with certain medical conditions. You must not be suffering from any medical condition that may put your health and safety, or that of others, at risk.
- Your ticket also includes general admission to Cutty Sark on the same day.
- Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.
Step aboard Cutty Sark and discover what life was like aboard the famous 19th century clipper ship! Built in 1869, Cutty Sark was one of the fastest tea clippers to be built and is now the last surviving in the world.
Following a fire in 2007 and an ambitious six-year restoration project, Cutty Sark reopened in April 2012, and you are invited to explore this historic attraction in London.
Learn about the romance, danger and adventure that came with life at sea as you meet the crew and hear their fascinating stories. Explore the interior of the sailing ship and discover innovative exhibits and interactive displays. Touch the original structure of the ship and find out where precious cargo was stored in the lower hold. Or why not venture beneath the towering masts which carry over 11 miles of rigging!
Walk underneath the ship and look up at the elegant lines of the ship’s streamlined and copper hull — here you can also enjoy a delicious Cutty Sark-inspired afternoon tea. You’ll have the opportunity to take the helm at the captain’s wheel, soak in spectacular views over the River Thames and meet the world’s largest collection of literary, historic and political figureheads.
There’s no better place to enjoy a fabulous afternoon tea than beneath the ship that brought the finest and freshest teas back to London. Indulge in a variety of sweet treats including lemon drizzle cake, almond and pistachio macaroons as well as homemade raisin scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. There’ll also be delicious homemade finger sandwiches and a selection of teas. What’s more, you can choose to explore the Cutty Sark before or after your meal.
Rig Climb Experience
For the first time since the Cutty Sark arrived in Greenwich in 1954, visitors can climb the rigging of the Cutty Sark! Experience what it would have been like to sail this historic ship.
Your Rig Climb Experience starts with a briefing under the ship’s stunning hull, where you’ll learn about safety and what it was like to live and work onboard the Cutty Sark. Then it’s time to step onto the ship’s ‘ratlines’ (rope ladders) and make your way up the rigging, just like hundreds of sailors did.
When you reach the platform, enjoy a drink while admiring the view of this spectacular icon. But the climb is not over yet! Challenge yourself to climb the Lower Topsail Yard by gripping the horizontal bar and shuffling along the footrope.
Days of Operation: Daily
Opening times: 10:30am until 4:30pm